Monday, December 12, 2005

The Blue Bird of Happiness

I got it, I got it!!! The Blue Bird of Happiness is mine!
Not only I was able to snatch The Blue Bird book (by Maurice Maeterlinck), it cost fraction of what I was thinking I will have to pay for it, and it is 1909 copy published by Dodd, Mead and Company. Translated by Alexander Teixeira De Mattos. Konstantin Stanislavski at the Moscow Art Theater first produced the Blue Bird, in 1909. Same year as the book publication! Though I think the play was written in 1907, but I am not sure…
What I didn’t know that Maurice Maeterlinck received a Nobel Prize for Literature in 1911, and that he is the author of the melancholy fantasy masterpiece “Pelléas et Mélisande” (written in 1892, translated in 1892 and made into an opera in 1902 by the French composer Claude Debussy)!
I am so very pleased, I can’t help myself… Lily.

2 Comments:

Blogger andrea said...

Lily: good snag! I could so easily be tempted into collecting antique or at least very old books. I love that they existed in an entirely different time and place and I can read them just as their original owner did.

11:44 AM  
Blogger scott said...

hey that's really good for you.
I was a complete book buying addict there a few years ago. having to move overseas (or wanting to) cured me. well the temptation still strikes.
I'll do a post about it soon (-er or later)
hey I'd love you to see how eni shocked turned out.
just posted it.
no time for more.
love scott
ps I do think that's an incredibly good find and I'm really pleased for you.

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home