Saturday, February 18, 2006

Illustration Friday: SONG



No one will ever believe me, but I had serious troubles with this week’s IF topic – I just ran in small and large circles wrangling with an idea… I am exhausted.It started with first thing that popped into my head – valkyries song from Wagner. So, I was going to re-create most astounding experience of girls in helmets on trampolines. Where did I ever experience that? Well, I was lucky to see Die Walkure few years back at the Chicago Lyric Opera… If sitting through five hours of Wagnerian opera is lucky, though it can be argued that it is just this side of masochistic. Anyway, for the flight of the valkyries, they did whole bunch of girls in horned helmets and flying capes jumping across the stage background over the trampolines for the whole duration of that piece! When it happened, the whole audience was speechless, and then everyone started laughing and broke into spontaneous applause. It was great! Years later I am still giggling at the image in my head. So, first thought was – valkyries, girls on the trampolines, helmets, and song of the battle. Then, after various renditions and trips to the trash bin, here I was, all dejected. And so I just give up, grubbed my trusty acrylics and ink pens, and here we are. Sorry for all, no valkyries drawings, but I hope I was able to impart this image verbally just as well. Consider it my conceptual verbal illustration contribution of the week. Lily.

14 Comments:

Blogger Anonymous said...

Your image of song Bird is delightful ... very cool and mysterious. I like the background very much and the transparency! Enjoyed your conceptual verbal illustration also :) Teehee

10:59 PM  
Blogger HARDWAX said...

i like the image of the lone songbird,against the full moon, a quiet beauty to this.

11:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh well, you tried to do your Valkyries, and you should get a prize for trying, even if you weren't happy with it!
The result is still very beautiful and heartfelt.

1:23 AM  
Blogger MD said...

This is utterly beautiful and very mysterious.
MD

1:25 AM  
Blogger Anastasia said...

Oh well not to worry
the bird is beautiful anyway - great illo!

2:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

it is lovely. love the play on light and dark. effective.

3:42 AM  
Blogger Weichuen You said...

Your illo is BEAUTIFUL...I especially love the leaves...

4:30 AM  
Blogger carla said...

Well, as much as I would have liked an illustration of the bouncing valkyries, I did most defintely see them in my mind as I read your description. I remember seeing the 1967 version of Bedazzled with Dudley Moore, and the only scene I remember is a bunch of nuns in those full, long habits jumping on a trampoline. Your post reminded me of that...now, should I get the movie and watch it again? As for your illustration, I love the spare and pure look you created with the greys. The bird on the branch looks like a print...it has an Asian feeling that's quite lovely. Oh - regards to Lucy;>

6:07 AM  
Blogger AscenderRisesAbove said...

A wonderful illustration. It has a a 'dusk' feeling to it; which makes it more curious and mysterious.

6:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really, really lovely...I love it!
I agree with who ever said it looked mysterious.
andrea

7:09 AM  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

despite your struggle there is magic in this work! love it!!!

10:51 AM  
Blogger Anonymous said...

That person is anonymous - Andrea. Teehee };-}

4:00 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

This is absolutely perfect as is. No valkyries to disrupt the peace of this night. *G*

1:38 PM  
Blogger Hellcat said...

boing ... boing ... boing ...

2:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home